wing dihedral

Everything you will want and need to know about the WillyNillies.com Wee series Papillon
paulrcer1515

wing dihedral

Post by paulrcer1515 »

Please see images:

Is the wing dihedral shown reasonable? It measures 14-15 degrees from the table to the bottom of the trailing edge.

Most of my experience has been with RC craft having wings with very little dihedral. So, this wing of the Wee Papillion seems extreme.

Please advise me: what should it be?
Attachments
Wing Papillon.jpeg
WillyNillies.com
Site Admin

Re: wing dihedral

Post by WillyNillies.com »

Hi There,

The recommended dihedral amount is set by the angle of the spar for the most in board rib. As long as your two in board ribs were installed against this pre-cut angle, your dihedral will be correct.

It may seem excessive at first, but it isn't. It is just right for rudder and elevator only control.

Sincerely,
Doug and Becky
WillyNillies.com
paulrcer1515

Post by paulrcer1515 »

Thank you for the feedback.

I have progressed to the point of mounting the TD .10 motor mount and installing the electronics.

Unfortunately, the motor did not run properly. I reset the speed control to factory conditions.

But the motor was still balky. When it did run, it ran hot. So hot it melted the plastic motor mount.

Any suggestions or recommendations?
WillyNillies.com
Site Admin

Post by WillyNillies.com »

Hi There,

You have a bad motor lead connection. This will cause exactly what you described.

Sincerely,
Doug and Becky
WillyNillies.com
paulrcer1515

Post by paulrcer1515 »

After removing all my soldering of motor connections and re-soldering with new 2mm banana plugs... same problem. I threw the motor away and re-ordered from Banggood a 4000K motor.

Pics of completed project below:
P1000310.jpg
Attachments
P1000309.jpg
P1000308.jpg
P1000306.jpg
P1000304.jpg
P1000303.jpg
P1000302.jpg
paulrcer1515

Post by paulrcer1515 »

Maiden flight... success!

With weight in nose, 5 1/4 oz. A heavy weight. Not a floater. But fun and satisfying. Big difference from the UMX controlled flight modes and lightweight foam construction.
Loosenutt

Post by Loosenutt »

Howdy! The baulky motor problem sounds like an issue of timing. The ESC should have been default to an auto timing but I have run across a couple that weren't. If run that way once the motor overheats the enamel coating on the wires will degrade and short causing nearly the same condition.
Sounds like quite a bit of weight to the nose. If you get around to it, you may want to move the servos to the forward hole, getting the weight down will certainly help with getting it to float. :-)
Plane looks good though, great job! Glad you like it overall.
BTW, the 6500 Kv motor works much better than the 4000 Kv on these little planes. I have both and and have run quite a few test comparisons. :-)